The food bank started in the early 1980s and was located on 13th Street East. Share A Meal was unofficial and carried out by St. Mark’s Parrish and midtown homeowners who fed the hungry.
- 1992 – Share A Meal and the Food Bank amalgamated on River Street and then moved to 11th Street East. In the next 10 years, it became fashionable to donate food, time and money to food banks and the Share A Meal Food Bank benefited from that trendiness. There were large meat donations, food drives and Wonska School became an affiliate partner. Prince Albert Parks and Recreation also benefited from the Share A Meal Food Bank when the Snack Program was started up.
- 2012 – A necessary addition to the building was added this year and the PA Outreach van was added as an affiliate partner. A new cook was added to the staff and new volunteers were recruited. The distribution list began including more non-profit and community-based organizations and the size of the hampers increased. The one drawback came when it was determined that the food bank could no longer accept wild meat unless it was processed in a government-licensed facility.
- 2013 – The kitchen area was revamped in February and became a much easier place to work. The referral system was abandoned and people could now come in to get their own food hampers without having to go through an intermediate agency. The system was computerized in May and made getting a hamper easier and less likely to be abused.
- 2015 – The Share-A-Meal Program was terminated and handed off to other agencies when our core funding dollars were exhausted. We focus on the food bank side of things and added a volunteer co-ordinator position to help recruit more volunteers and to work on side projects that utilize the kitchen and dining areas.
- 2016 – The Oasis Demonstration Garden was started at 1650 6th Avenue West, next to the S.H.A.R.E. building (the old brewery)
- 2017 – The Oasis Demonstration Garden added a children’s program in addition to a Sacred Circle.
At the Prince Albert Food Bank we are passionate about helping those who live a life of struggle and want to be more than their current situation.